Enrolled voters in Christchurch’s Central ward will get to exercise their democratic right to vote twice in October.
Seven candidates have put their names forward to represent the Central Ward at the Linwood-Central-Heathcote Community Board by-election, which is being held on 16 October – one day before New Zealand’s re-scheduled General Election.
The seven candidates competing for the Community Board seat, left vacant by the retirement of Sally Buck due to ill health, are:
- Clive Antony (Independent Citizens)
- Faimeh Burke (Independent)
- Celeste Donovan (Independent)
- Sunita Gautam (Labour)
- Wayne Hawker (Independent)
- Paul Lonsdale (Independent)
- John Stringer (Independent)
The by-election is being conducted by postal vote.
Electoral Officer Jo Daly is pleased that so many candidates have put themselves forward to represent their community.
“While 16 October is the official date for the by-election, enrolled voters in the Central Ward will be able to start voting once they receive their voting papers from Thursday 24 September.
“If you are not yet on the electoral roll, you can still enrol and get a special vote,” Ms Daly says.
All you need to do is:
- Get an enrolment form from vote.nz, free text your name and address to 3676, or call 0800 36 76 56
- Once enrolled, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 941 8581 for special voting papers, or do it in person at the Civic Offices or Linwood Library and Service Centre.