Christ Church Cathedral has a rich heritage and we invite everyone to come and see for themselves.
We’re running a total of nine free events in October:
- Make your own Rose Window. For children aged 5 to 10, sessions will be held at Tūranga (the Central Library) where they will discover the story behind the Cathedral’s iconic Rose Window and then get a chance to make their own Rose Window using cardboard and cellophane.
- A glimpse behind the fences. Small groups will be guided onto the site by our local heritage and Cathedral experts for a chance to see the Cathedral up closer.
- Live demonstrations. The Cathedral’s stone work and stained glass will be brought to life in terms of their stories and craftsmanship. We will be holding live demonstrations with expert heritage commentary. People will be able to see examples of retrieved Cathedral artefacts up close.
Dates and times:
Make your own Rose Window
- 11 October 3.30 – 5.30pm
- 12 October 10am – 12pm
Note, children must be accompanied by an adult. Numbers are limited. Please go to our Contact Us page to register your interest.
Behind the fences – please note, these tours are now fully subscribed (as at 26/9/19).
- 14 October 10am – 11am – fully subscribed
- 16 October 10am-11am – fully subscribed
- 19 October 10am – 11am – fully subscribed
Numbers are limited for these tours so you must register your interest. Attendees are required to wear long pants, long sleeves and closed, flat shoes (for safety and protection), although we will provide hard hats and hi-viz vests. To attend you must be 18 or over. Rain or shine. Please go to our Contact Us page to register your interest and to find out more.
- 23 October 12pm – 1pm
- 24 October 12pm – 1pm
- 25 October 12pm – 1pm
The demonstrations will be held outside, in front of the Cathedral and are open to everyone. They will operate rain or shine.
You can find out more about our free events and other Beca Christchurch Heritage Festival 2019 events, at: What’s on