Join our Youth Rōpū
Our Youth Rōpū is looking for two new representatives from across Waitaha (Canterbury) to join it.
The Youth Rōpū is a formalised group enthusiastic about the environment, civics and empowering young people. Now in its second year, it is looking for two new representatives to join, representing:
- North Canterbury
- Mana whenua.
- You need to be aged 14-24.
- The North Canterbury representative must either live in, go to school or work in, or be from that area.
- The mana whenua representative must come from the Canterbury area.
Applications close 11.59pm, Sunday 20 September.
What is involved?
To deliver on the group’s five priority areas, members opt-in to a variety of ongoing and project-based teams.
Examples of these teams include:
- Social media – responsible for planning and running social media activities and posts
- Coordination – responsible for the internal organisation of the Youth Rōpū
- Partnerships – project-based team focused on building relationships with other youth organisations
- Water Zone Committees – project-based team working to implement youth representatives on Canterbury Water Zone Committees
- Annual Plan – project-based team which prepared and presented advice
to Council on our Annual Plan.
To attend a face-to-face meeting every six weeks in Christchurch; a fortnightly one-hour online meeting and be active in at least one team. This would be a minimum time commitment of six hours per month.
Membership is on a voluntary basis. A Youth Rōpū member may hold a term of either one or two years, which must be indicated in the application process.
At the end of their term, a member can go through the application process for another one- or two-year term and can continue to apply for consecutive terms until they turn 25 years of age. They must step down at the first recruitment period after their 25th birthday.