Plans for a State Highway 1 flyover and changes to busy intersections through Rolleston, south of Christchurch, are ready for the first round of public feedback.
The $125m project is being delivered as part of the Government’s $6.8 billion New Zealand Upgrade Programme
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency has pop-up events planned over the next few weeks to share plans and gather community feedback.
It’s working with Selwyn District Council and Kiwirail on the plans which include investment in highway intersections and the rail corridor.
Selwyn District Council Mayor Sam Broughton says the flyover offers safer ways to cross the highway and connect Rolleston township and the industrial zone.
“The changes are designed to make it safer and easier for people to visit and for locals to get around Rolleston. It also gives people more options to get around Rolleston, whether they are cycling, walking, on buses or in cars.”
Waka Kotahi Director of Regional Relationships James Caygill says many years of planning are being realised as a result of the NZUP funding.
“The proposed road and rail improvements are designed to provide a streamlined extension off the southern motorway while elevating and strengthening Rolleston’s community connections. A highway flyover, intersection changes and a new service lane will mean safer and more efficient commuter and freight routes and a freer flowing highway.”
The project includes a number of proposed safety upgrades including:
- a flyover between Rolleston township and the industrial hub.
- closing SH1 Hoskyns Road and Rolleston Drive North intersections and removing the level crossing.
- a new southbound service lane for local traffic running parallel to SH1 from Rolleston Drive North to south of Brookside Road (left in/left out only.)
- a new roundabout improving safety at SH1/Dunns Crossing Road/Walkers Road intersection.
- safety improvements at SH1/Rolleston Drive South intersection.
- changes to the rail corridor to improve train connections, operations and efficiencies.
People can speak to the team about the proposed Rolleston Flyover, transport improvements and speed reviews at the following events:
- Wednesday, 21 July 10am-12noon, Rolleston Community Centre, 94 Rolleston Drive
- Saturday 24 July 1-3pm, Selwyn Winter Festival, Larcomb Vineyard, 307 Larcombs Road
- Sunday 1 August 9-11am, Rolleston Farmers Market, 631 Springston Rolleston Road
- Wednesday 11 August 3-5pm, Selwyn Sports Centre, 70 Broadlands Drive.
People can also send feedback in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or drop comments on the online map at www.nzta.govt.nz/rollestonflyover from 20 July.
The last day for comment is Tuesday, 17 August.