Compliance monitoring and enforcement during COVID-19
Please note: The following information has been updated to reflect changes under Alert Level 2 – it was first published on 15 April 2020 with Alert Level 4 information.
Update: 22 September 2020
New Zealand is now at Alert Level 1 (with the exception of Auckland, which remains at Alert Level 2). This means a return to “business as usual” for Environment Canterbury services, buildings and staff. The information below applies only if we move back to Alert Level 2 or higher.
During COVID-19 Alert Level 2 we are asking our communities to continue to “do the right thing” and take all practical steps to keep themselves, family, staff and colleagues safe and healthy at home and in their community.
We are also adjusting the way that we work with our communities. Many of our normal processes relating to compliance monitoring and enforcement will continue, but with some changes, as described below.
If you are in any doubt about how the rules apply to you or have any questions at all, please contact your compliance monitoring officer or our customer services team on 0800 324 636 (or via our our contact us form).
1. If your business is still unable to operate at Level 2
If you are unable to fulfil any ongoing monitoring, please note that we will not consider this to be non-compliance. However, we do request the following:
- Monitoring is to recommence as soon as possible once the lockdown is lifted.
- Once monitoring recommences, email your compliance monitoring officer quoting your consent number (ie, CRCXXXXXX) and explain (i) what monitoring could not be undertaken during the lockdown, and (ii) the period of time.
- If you are still able to undertake monitoring while observing alert level restrictions and it is safe to do so, we would expect monitoring to continue.
If there are other conditions of your consent that you are unable to meet, or if you have any other queries, please contact your compliance monitoring officer.
2. If you are an essential service or your business can operate under Level 2 government guidelines
We expect compliance with the relevant consent conditions, where it is safe to do so. However, we understand compliance may not be achieved in some circumstances due to COVID-19 restrictions.
If you are in this situation, please contact your compliance monitoring officer or our customer services team (0800 324 636 or our contact us form) as soon as possible. We want to support you as much as possible during this challenging time, so we will simply record the details of your situation without grading compliance. However, we would expect you to move towards full compliance when restrictions are lifted (as above).
If a compliance monitoring site inspection in required, please note that we will contact you to arrange an agreed approach to undertake the site inspection safely for you, your employees, and our staff.
In particular, if you require approval from Environment Canterbury to operate, please contact your compliance monitoring officer or our customer services team (0800 324 636 or our contact us form), as soon as possible.
3. If you have an issue with water measurement hardware or water use data
Where you are unable to provide normal services-related water measurement and water-use data transfer, please follow the following process:
- Contact your data service provider (or if you are a data service provider, contact the affected consent holder).
- Try to identify the issue. If it can be resolved without leaving your isolation ‘bubble’, initiate or take necessary steps to remedy the problem.
- If a site visit is required, delay remedial work until the relevant restrictions, at any alert level, have been lifted.
In this case, service providers should keep a log of all issues that will need to be resolved when possible. If you are a consent holder, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (copying in your data service provider) and provide the:
- consent number
- WAP number
- service provider’s name, and
- a description of the problem.